Monday, November 23, 2009

spawning salmon

The salmon were spawning in the Columbia Gorge this fall, I brought my Canon 5dmk2 and intended on shooting stills, somehow I made a video. Still a rough cut I was just pretty much blown away with how amazing the creatures are.

To return from the ocean to the exact creek you were born to lay egg and die is incredible. I did some swimming with the fellas. I will never forget that, one of the most amazing things I've witnessed... very humbling.



As far as the fish I helped in the movie, that wasn't planned. I had been following his progression up the creek. He was HUGE and pressing ahead despite the very low water levels. Alot of the fish were in varying stages of decay and death as they do not eat the entire journey. This guy was fit without any noticeable signs of wear. I thought he needed alittle help to get him back along his way. Got a nice slap to the face for it. So amazing to touch them, you truly feel the wildness. Their singular purpose and call- get home, reproduce and die.

I didn't know the camera was rolling but was happy to see it had.

It is truly our responsibility to insure that future generations have the ability to spawn and return home as they have since the beginning. To see them in their struggle in the cycle of life was humbling. To witness their death in creating life was an honor.

For more on what you can do to help, check out the fine folks at Columbia Riverkeeper.









1 comment: