Friday, March 20, 2009

Mt Bailey Snowcat


I was just was down in southern Oregon near Crater Lake to shoot a travel piece with Otis Rubottom for Travel Oregon magazine. Totally a fantastic experience I would recommend it to anyone. The Diamond Lake Lodge is a total throwback and is authentically Oregonian. We had nonstop snowfall for three days with high winds... setting the stage for some pretty sketchy conditions. The guides did a fantastic job in finding us the safe goods- thanks go to Oz, Todd and Ross!

I have never had the opportunity to see an avalanche slide from below up close. An eerie experience to hear and feel it coming before I knew what it was. Granted a glade of trees kept us separate and safe I don't care to get any closer ever. The blast of powder in the runout was triple overhead.







1 comment:

  1. okay, now thats just scary. cool. scary. cool. okay. scary and cool. no, scary. cool. whatev.
    you rock!
    marley

    ReplyDelete